27th day pure vegan with The Plantbase Store
Breakfast: Avocado Bagel with Pears and Tomatoes
- 2 regular size avocados, mashed
- 2 or 3 lightly toasted bagels
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- 1 ripe pear thinly sliced
Mediterranean Oregano Garlic Dressing
- 1 large clove of garlic, pressed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp or more lemon juice
- a generous pinch of salt
- Mix mashed avocado with salt and pepper.
- Make the dressing: Mix everything until the oil and lemon juice are well combined. Taste and adjust lemon and salt.
- Spread the avocado over toasted bagels or multigrain toasts.
- Add slices of pear or tomato.
- Add a generous drizzle of the dressing. Serve!
Lunch: Middle Eastern Chickpea and Black bean Salad
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- 425g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 425g black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Using a medium bowl to hold all dressing ingredients: garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and sugar. Taste, add salt and pepper. Then whisk together and adjust seasonings.
- In a separate large bowl, toss chickpeas, black beans, red onion, tomatoes, basil, parsley and mint together. Pour dressing over and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving to allow flavors to soak in. Sprinkle avocado on top if desired.
Dinner: Quick and Easy Black Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 800g black beans, rinsed and drained
- 500ml vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and red pepper to a large pot. Cook with medium high heat until vegetables are tender. During stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, vegetable broth, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Turn the soup to low and let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. If you want to thicken the soup, use an immersion blender to purée some of the soup for a thicker consistency but don’t blend it completely, just a little to thicken it up. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can carefully transfer 2 to 3 cups of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Stir the pureed soup back into the pot.
- Stir in the cilantro and fresh lime juice. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve warm with desired toppings.