Day 9th on Vegenuary month with The Plantbase Store.
Join The Plantbase Store on day 9 of your one-month vegan journey with special dishes and easy to do at your own kitchen.
Breakfast: Creamy Wheat Berry Porridge
- 175 g wheat berries
- 950 ml water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 590 ml vegan milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Gingered Blueberry Topping:
- 175 g frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 centimeters piece fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Using a medium saucepan to cook the porridge. Put the wheat berries, water, salt in the saucepan; cover the pot, turn the heat down, and simmer for 45 minutes, keep stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off and let the porridge sit for an hour (or overnight).
- Stir in the milk, chia seeds, and coconut oil and bring to a simmer over medium heat; turn the heat off, cover the pot, and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Cooking all ingredients for the topping in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover the saucepan, bring it up to a boil, and let it cook for 3 minutes, adjusting the heat down as necessary so it doesn’t boil over.
- Serve the Creamy Wheat Berry Porridge with the Gingered Blueberry Topping and coconut milk drizzled on top.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat this porridge on the stovetop while stirring frequently, adding additional water to thin it out as necessary.
Lunch: Gazpacho sauce spaghetti
- 160g spaghetti
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ½ garlic clove
- ½ red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Tabasco sauce
- Bunch of basil
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the packaging.
- Using a blender to blend tomatoes, pepper, garlic and onion together until the mixture completely smooth. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the vinegar and Tabasco sauce.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain well and toss with the sauce. Tear in lots of basil and serve
Dinner: Tomato, lemongrass and rice soup
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- a piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp coriander
- 400g chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 tbsp tamarind purée
- 3 tbsp basmati rice
- a bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the garlic, ginger, chilli and lemongrass for 2 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for 1 minute, then tip in the tomatoes, tamarind and 600ml water, and simmer for 5 minutes. Blitz with a stick blender until smooth, then season.
- Heat the soup again, add the rice and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Stir through the coriander and serve.